The attorneys at the Law & Mediation Firm of Klueck & Hoppes, APC are committed to helping families in the greater San Diego area resolve their divorce disputes. In the more than 25 years that we have been serving the community, we have handled countless divorce cases and resolved numerous disputes between spouses. We know that if you want to get through your divorce proceedings, you need to be prepared for the many different obstacles you might have to face. Because preparing for divorce can be a stressful task, we discuss 12 tips that can help you survive your divorce.
- Divorce Tip #1: Get yourself ready for a battle, because divorce proceedings can become very combative and some spouses will shamelessly do all that they can to make life difficult for the other spouse. Because spouses sometimes struggle to reach a fair agreement and can’t always get along well enough to reach a compromise, it is important to prepare a legal strategy that will protect your interests during the divorce.
- Divorce Tip #2: The timing of your divorce is crucial, so first ask yourself if getting a divorce at this time would be most beneficial to you. Consider the types of assets you will be entitled to if you were to postpone the divorce. There are situations that might benefit you to wait until certain dates. In particular, new alimony tax laws can have a substantial impact on your divorce agreement if it is not finalized by the end of 2018. Consult with an attorney to discuss the best time to file for divorce.
- Divorce Tip #3: Speak to an experienced lawyer to get legal advice about which laws apply to your particular situation. You can also try to get insight from a local judge who can explain how state laws might vary from county to county.
- Divorce Tip #4: Gather all of the important information you will need to build a strong case, particularly documents related to your financial accounts, real estate properties, and debts.
- Divorce Tip #5: No matter how contentious your divorce becomes, never put your kids in the middle of the disputes you have with your spouse. Instead, create an arrangement where both parents can be still be involved in the lives of the children.
- Divorce Tip #6: Keep the important details of your divorce to yourself. When other people ask you how your divorce is moving along, keep your conversations brief. You never know who might still be in contact with your ex. Also manage your social media accounts and never vent about your divorce online or in public settings.
- Divorce Tip #7: If you want to prevent your spouse from having complete access to your finances, you need to make sure you have your name on any joint bank accounts or deeds.
- Divorce Tip #8: Make a list of all the assets that you own. This includes bank accounts, vehicles, expensive jewelry, and properties. Make sure you know where every penny is at. Although both spouses in the divorce will have to disclose their assets, some spouses will still try to conceal assets.
- Divorce Tip #9: It is important to protect your credit from your spouse, otherwise it will be difficult to get started on the next phase of your life. If you plan to get divorced, don’t co-sign with your spouse on anything.
- Divorce Tip #10: Make sure you start to save some cash once you have decided it is time to get a divorce. There is a good chance that your spouse is already doing this, so start saving as soon as possible.
- Divorce Tip #11: Review and update your resume. Although you might be able to secure spousal support as part of your divorce agreement, you should still be prepared to enter the work force if you are a stay-at-home parent.
- Divorce Tip #12: If there is physical abuse in the marriage, call the police and make sure you preserve any evidence of the abuse. Pictures of bruises and other injuries serve as strong evidence in court.
Get Help with Your Divorce Case Today
At Law & Mediation Firm of Klueck & Hoppes, APC, we are here to help guide you through your divorce. From negotiating child custody agreements to uncovering hidden assets, our skilled team of lawyers will provide you with knowledgeable, professional, and effective legal counsel for all matters related to your divorce. We are here to help make sure you are ready to move on with your divorce proceedings.
Call (619) 577-4900 to schedule your consultation with our family law attorneys in La Mesa.