San Diego CHILD CUSTODY LAWYERs
Turn to Our Award-Winning Custody Attorneys for Help
The question of who has custody over your child is likely the most important, most emotionally distressing question you will ever have to answer in the divorce process. The stakes involved means there is no margin for error—how your case is presented or how you craft the agreement could affect your family's lives for decades to come. Thankfully, you have an ally with our San Diego child custody attorneys at Family Law San Diego.
Types of Child Custody
In the state of California, there are two types of child custody:
- Legal custody refers to a parent’s right to make decisions about the child’s life, such as decisions with their health, education, and welfare.
- Physical custody refers to a parent’s right to spend time with and live with their child.
Our custody lawyers in San Diego have decades of collective experience that we put to work for our clients to fiercely and relentlessly protect their futures. We create custody agreements that are innovative, creative, and above all, uphold your child's best interests.
How Does the Court Determine Child Custody in California?
When it comes to child custody in San Diego, the Family Courts throughout San Diego County are led by one question: what is in the best interests of your child? Every custody case hinges on proving that a parent is the person to guide and care for a child. Your lawyers will have to present your case before the court if there is no agreement and believe you should have primary custody (or additional custody in a modification case).
- Each parent's lifestyle
- Each parent's financial situation
- The child's choice (if old enough)
- How healthy each parent is (mentally and physically)
- The ability of each parent to provide food and shelter
- The relationship between each parent and the child
- Any record of domestic violence or substance abuse
- How disruptive each parent's lifestyle is to the child's
Is California a Mother or Father State?
Since the court determines child custody based on the best interests of the child, California child custody laws do not inherently favor either parent.
What Makes a Parent Unfit In California?
The California court may deem a parent unfit if he or she demonstrates any of the following:
- An inability to make age-appropriate parenting decisions;
- A lack of understanding or response to the child’s needs;
- Insufficient historical involvement in the child’s life;
- An unwillingness to cooperate with the other parent when it comes to the child’s best interests;
- A history of child abuse or domestic violence;
- Issues with substance abuse;
- A mental illness that interferes with the child’s wellbeing; and/or
- Unhealthy social behaviors.
Why Turn to Family Law San Diego
Our child custody lawyers in San Diego are known for our two sides: we are kindhearted and compassionate when it comes to our clients, but we are aggressive, commanding litigators in the courts. When our client’s and their family's well-being are at stake, we do not cut corners and we do not back down.
- Perfect 10.0 "Superb" Avvo rating
- Inclusion in Super Lawyers®
- 3-time inclusion in Best of the Bar in San Diego Business Journal
- Voted Best Overall Law Firm in San Diego by readers and residents
- Board Certification in Family Law by the California Board of Legal Specialization
Let our San Diego family law firm provide you with all of your options and choices. In the beginning stages of your case, our attorney's primary role is empowering you with information. Most people are unaware of their legal options until an attorney makes it clear to them. Our San Diego child custody lawyers can also help educate you on your case's intricacies, equipping you to make confident and well-informed decisions.
- What Is Parental Alienation?
- What Is Parental Kidnapping?
- When Is Guardianship of Children Necessary?
- What Are Your Rights as a Grandparent in California?
- What Happens During an Emergency Custody Hearing?
As skilled litigators, mediators, and negotiators, our firm is prepared to handle any type of family law case.
Working together, we pull from our unique backgrounds and resources to achieve the best results possible.
We create tailor-made solutions to fit the unique needs of every client and help them move forward favorably.
We are committed to serving a diverse clientele, all the while protecting the interests and fulfilling the needs of clients.
I would absolutely recommend this firm!- Gerilyn H.
It was a joy to work with him and the entire firm!- Nina F.
We were successful, despite the opposing party's contention. Thank you again to Garrison Kleuck and his entire team.- Jennifer B.
I appreciate all the hard work everyone demonstrated during my legal issue, first and foremost Garrison!- Jean M.
It feels good to have you on our side.- Kevin