San Diego Relocations Lawyer
Board Certified Family Law Attorneys
Very often, just because a divorce is finalized does not mean there may not be issues in the future which will trigger a need for a post-divorce modification agreement. One of the most common reasons to amend an existing arrangement among the parties is if one party would like to relocate, and there are minor children involved that would be affected.
At Law & Mediation Firm of Klueck & Hoppes, APC, we help families throughout California who have relocation issues and concerns. To speak with a family law attorney about your relocation needs, please call any of our two offices to schedule a reduced rate, flat fee consultation for $95, or complete our online contact form.
We Consider Every Factor in a Relocation Petition
Relocations, whether by the custodial parent with the children or by the non-custodial parent, must be formalized in the form of an order and approved by the courts, even when the parties are all in agreement. The court will see if the move away is the result of a change of circumstance, such as a new job, and if the relocation will cause a substantial change in circumstances for the minor children.
Some of the factors that the court may consider when deciding whether to grant a move-away petition may include:
- The age of the children
- The approximate distance of the move
- The children's relationship with both parents
- The extent to which the parents currently are sharing custody
- The children's interest in stability and continuity in the existing custodial arrangement
- The wishes of the children, if they are mature enough for such an inquiry to be appropriate
- The reasons for the proposed move, including new job, remarriage by one parent
- The relationship between the parents, including their ability to communicate and cooperate effectively
Our lawyers will help you anticipate these factors when drafting a relocation petition. We will also be ready to argue before the court why the relocation should or should not be granted. We will also help you move for child custody and child support modifications to reflect a relocation request and the changes relocation would trigger. We are here to help you anticipate every aspect of you and your children's lives that will be affected by a relocation and to help you plan accordingly.
Call (619) 577-4900 for a reduced rate, flat fee confidential legal consultation for $95. We can empower you by presenting all of your options, allowing you to make an informed and confident decision. Contact us online today!