San Diego Move AWay and Relocations Lawyer
Board-Certified Family Law Attorneys
Very often, just because a divorce is finalized does not mean there may not be issues in the future which will trigger a need for a post-divorce modification agreement. One of the most common reasons to amend an existing arrangement among the parties is if one party would like to relocate (i.e. move away), and there are minor children involved that would be affected.
At Law & Mediation Firm of Klueck & Hoppes, APC, we help families throughout California who have relocation issues and concerns.
We Consider Every Factor in a Relocation/Move-Away Petition
Relocations/move-aways must be formalized in the form of an order and approved by the courts, even when the parties are all in agreement. This is true whether it is the custodial parent with the children or by the non-custodial parent making the request.
The court will consider several factors, including the timeshare of each of each parent. The court may also consider underlying factors related to the request, such as a new job, and the impact on the minor children’s best interests.
- The age of the children
- The approximate distance of the move
- The children's relationship with both parents
- The extent to which the parents currently are sharing custody
- The children's interest in stability and continuity in the existing custodial arrangement
- The wishes of the children, if they are mature enough for such an inquiry to be appropriate
- The reasons for the proposed move, including new job, remarriage by one parent
- The relationship between the parents, including their ability to communicate and cooperate effectively
Our lawyers will help you anticipate these factors when drafting a relocation/move-away petition. We will also be ready to argue before the court why the relocation/move-away should or should not be granted.
Our attorneys will request any appropriate child custody and child support modifications stemming form the relocation request. We are here to help you anticipate every aspect of you and your children's lives that will be affected by a relocation and to help you plan accordingly.
Call (619) 577-4900 to schedule a free consultation. We can empower you by presenting all of your options, allowing you to make an informed and confident decision. Contact us online today!